DevOps is an emerging trend that promises greater value for your customers. Business is faster with fierce competition. This is definitely true in the mobile space. Users demand great mobile experiences. Getting those built, tested, and deployed adds new challenges. Mobile apps aren't disconnected islands. Most require access to services to be fully functional. With agility affecting everyone in your organization, from the executives to the data center and marketing, time-to-market is essential.
In this workshop, you'll learn how you can define a DevOps practice in your organization regardless of the tools you're using. You'll work through the process with Brian of using Visual Studio Team Services and Visual Studio 2015 as a practical example of how to take an a mobile solution with services through the planning, development, testing, deployment, and feedback stages.
Specifically, we’ll focus on taking a mobile app written in C# using Xamarin tools that supports Android, iOS, and Windows. The mobile app will take to REST services hosted in an ASP.NET web app hosted up in Azure (however you can take the sample and host it in IIS too on premises).
You will learn:
- How to set up your code in Git repos in VSTS and use them from Windows and OS/X
- How to create Team Builds for the mobile projects and the services
- How use Xamarin Test Cloud to test your mobile apps
- How to use VSTS’ Test services for manual testing and load testing of your service
- How to use Release Management to deploy everything
- How to use HockeyApp for distribution, crash reporting, feedback and user metrics
- How to deal with the last mile for mobile apps with App Stores and/or Enterprise deployment
By the end of the day, you'll see how automation is king when it comes to an effective DevOps practice with mobile apps and their services.